Hmmmm, what should we wear for our engagement session? It is a tough choice, believe me. Nole and I were stumped on what to wear for our photo together too! As many of you become engaged over this holiday season, you might be looking to engagement photographs as a fun kick-off to your wedding planning. We are lucky to have Charlottsville duo Eric and Lora Kelley to give a few tips for choosing your e-session attire. Eric is a photographer at Eric Kelley Photography, and Lora is a makeup artist at Lora Elaine. Onto the advice…
- You and your fiance(e) are the subject matter, so you want to wear something that reflects who you are and what you love.
- If you love pink, it’s your trademark color wear that.
- One of our friends is from Texas, and she said she loves cowboy boots and would wear them.
- Lora loves TOMS shoes. Those are fun details that make the pictures about you.
Dress on the same scale
- If he’s wearing a tux, a bohemian dress with torn off sleeves might not be the best option.
- If you are an upscale fashionista, help your love find an outfit that matches your level of dressiness.
- Outfit changes are always welcome so maybe have one outfit that’s pretty casual and fun, and one that’s a touch more dressy and nice.
- Ask your photographer how many outfits changes you have and make them all different!
Comfort is key
- Leave those I have to lay down to button these jeans at home and opt for something that you feel free to move around in.
- Avoid too tight-fitting clothes that might accentuate curves you’re not best friends with.
- Jersey material, while comfortable, is a cruel creator of undesirable curve showing, especially when pregnant.
- Think about the time of year and location i.e., if it’s freezing outside shorts and a tank top might not be ideal.
- If you have some super-awesome heels you want to wear, but you’ll be walking in sand¦try bringing flip-flops and just wearing the shoes for the actual shot.
Color is beautiful
- I love rich colors, and dark colors are always slimming.
- Something with a little pop always photographs well, but if you’re most in-love with shirt is white or off white don’t be afraid to wear it.
Complement each other
- Yes, compliment, too but really, wear clothes that are complementary.
- If you both want to wear red, or orange, or green, try wearing varying hues or shades.
- Avoid the we have to match! mentality, unless you’re just married to the same outfit. In which case embrace and smile!
Splurge for sass
- There’s nothing quite like a brand new dress to bring out the fun for a photograph. We love the idea of having a never been seen outfit just for those special pictures.
- Add a bit of extra love to your photos by having someone do your make-up and hair. And, if you’re all dolled up¦ it’s a perfect excuse for a post-session date night.
- Yes, like smile and laugh and flirt. You’re getting married! It’s joyous.
- Show your colors. My job is to capture you both totally in love and totally excited for the big day.
For more wedding related tips, check out our advice page here.
Photo credits: Eric Kelley Photography